Sunday, January 10, 2021

Current build (Sabrent Rocket Q onboard)

  I first wondered in chat in #gentoo irc back years ago when would pcie be looked at as a vehicle to store and retrieve from hard drives and bypass the bottlenecks built into SATA. Well it is wonderful I can report to have it working. I mean M.2 NVMe with PCIE 3.0 Sure there is a faster version. You can go ahead and pay for it if you like. Not likely I could see the real difference in any of my current usage at least. Perhaps if I were compiling Gentoo. But I would like to say thank you any way to those who made it happen and compliment them on a job well done.

  The new system I built uses the following components;

BaseBoard Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product    B450 AORUS M
Processor    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Model    Sabrent Rocket Q
Size    931.51 GB (1,000,202,273,280 bytes)

  That's as stated above a PCI-E 3.0 disk and for the board, disk and ram for a system like this. Each is selling for less than $100 US at the moment. A friend had several video cards and (perhaps because 4 years later the AC still hums without leaking) he had upgraded and sent me his 'old' RX 580 8 GB. I was more than happy to put it to use. 

  I opted for a Fractal Meshify C case and installed the Corsair 700 Gold I have been using for about 6 years now. It isn't modular but has been great. The case can accommodate water cooling if I decide to go that way and I never did give a damn about turning it into a strobe globe from a Friday night dance floor. Wire routing is nicely done in this particular case and it makes for a clean install and good air flow and heat exchange. The heavy power supply at the bottom of the case makes it more stable and less likely to tip. Of course having now eliminated spinning drives in the case. (no dvd) there is little chance of breaking anything if it did tip over. 

  'Pics or it didn't happen'? That little sliver of black under the video card....it's the heat spreader for the disk drive.

Works like a champ!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment